What should I do to maintain the security of my personal and financial information?
At Beacon Credit Union, we understand that security is one of our primary responsibilities. With this in mind, we have taken the necessary steps to provide our customers with state-of-the-art security for their online banking transactions. Our infrastructure, coupled with the security features built into your browser and operating system, can provide you with a secure environment — but only if you do your part. To help maintain the security of your accounts, follow these guidelines:
- Maintain the security of your Sign-On ID and password.
- Protect your computer from malicious programs and intruders by running an anti-virus utility and maintaining a firewall.
- Make sure you have applied the latest security patches to your web browser and operating system, especially if you use Internet Explorer and Windows.
- Protect yourself from e-mail fraud.
For more detailed instructions on each of these guidelines, refer to our Security Information (PDF Document).
What hardware, software, and services do I need for online banking?
In order to provide you with the maximum level of security, we require that you use a browser that supports 128-bit encryption. The recommended browser is: Microsoft Internet Explorer – version 11.0 or higher.
If you are using a browser other than Internet Explorer, please note that not all Version 7.x browsers come with support for 128-bit encryption. You may need to upgrade your browser to this level of encryption.
Internet Explorer 11 and certain versions of Chrome, Mozilla and Safari.
What is 128-bit encryption, and why do I need it?
Encryption is the process of encoding a message so that only the sender and the recipient can tell what the message really says. A simple way to encrypt this sentence, for example, would be to substitute a number for each letter, according to the position of that letter in the alphabet: 1 for “a”, 2 for “b”, and so on. As you can imagine, this method of encryption could be easily decoded.
Beacon Credit Union uses a combination of security technologies to protect its members, their transactions, and the Credit Union itself. Each member is given a unique Sign-On ID and password that they must use in order to enter the online banking service. You, the member, play a key role in maintaining security by ensuring that your Sign-On ID and password remain confidential at all times.
A Verisign™ Digital Certificate and your browser’s Secure Socket Layer (SSL) ensure 128-bit encryption of your banking transactions. Firewalls at each point of entry prevent intrusion into the online banking service.
The 128-bit encryption enforced by our Verisign™ Digital Certificate is the highest level of encryption currently available for public use in the United States. To guarantee that you get this level of protection, we require that you use a browser that supports 128-bit encryption with our online banking service.
How can I tell if my browser supports 128-bit encryption?
If you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer, do the following:
- Pull down your browser’s Help menu and select About Internet Explorer. A pop-up window will appear with information about Internet Explorer.
- In that window, look for a line that begins with the words “Cipher Strength”. If the cipher strength is any less than 128-bit, then you must upgrade your browser in order to use online banking. You can go directly to Microsoft’s web site and obtain the upgrade by clicking on the words “Upgrade Information” that appear in parentheses next to the cipher strength.
How do I get a Sign-On ID and password for online banking?
In order to get a Sign-On ID and password for online banking, you need to enroll your account(s) using our online enrollment form. To enroll, go to www.beaconcu.org and do the following:
- Click on the enroll online link at the top of the home page.
- Fill out the enrollment form and submit it.
- As long as your information can be validated, you will be able to immediately log in and view your accounts.
For Business Account users, you must apply at your local Beacon Branch.
Can I choose my own Sign-On ID and password?
YES, you can choose your own Sign-On ID and password.
Passwords are case sensitive. In addition, passwords:
- Must be between 8 and 15 characters long
- Must contain one or more alphabetic characters
- Must contain at least one lower case character
- Must contain at least one upper case character
- Must contain one or more numeric characters
- Can contain one or more of these special characters:
! + & @ – . , : # $ % _ ? ~ ` ‘ ( ) [ ]
- Cannot contain a space or any special characters other than those listed above
The online banking service will require that you change your password once every 12 months.
What do I do if I forget my password?
If you know your Sign-On ID, but have forgotten the password for your accounts, you can use the forgot your password link provided on our website, www.beaconcu.org. You must know your Sign-On ID and have a valid email address on file in order to use this link.
- Steps for Retrieving your Password:
Enter your Sign-On ID and Email address and click Continue.
- An auto-generated One Time Password (OTP) will be sent to the email address on file and will be valid for ten (10) minutes.
- Enter the OTP.
Please note that banking regulations do not allow us to send you a Sign-On ID or password via email, because email is not sufficiently secure for transmitting this information.
What do I do if I cannot find my Sign-On ID and password?
If you forget your Sign-On ID for your personal accounts, or you forget both your Sign-On ID and your password, you will need to contact our Beacon Credit Union Contact Center at (800) 762-3136 Option 3 during normal business hours (Monday through Thursday 8:30AM to 5:00PM, Friday 8:30AM to 6:00PM and Saturday 8:30AM to Noon).
What Functions are available online for my accounts?
When you enroll your accounts for retail online banking, you will be given the following functions, based on the type of account:
|Account Type||Online Functions|
|Checking||Inquiry, transfer (in and out), bill payment (optional), stop payment|
|Savings Plus||Inquiry, transfer (in and out)|
|Passbook Savings||Inquiry, transfer (in and out)|
|Consumer Loan||Inquiry, loan payment|
|Commercial Loan||Inquiry, loan payment, LOC draws|
|Mortgage Loan||Inquiry, loan payment|
|Time Deposit (CD)||Inquiry only|
Can other people access my financial information?
We give you a Sign-On ID and password so that only you have access to your accounts through online banking. All banking information is kept that is transferred to your computer is done so over a secure connection. Keep in mind, however, that you yourself have a critical role in maintaining the privacy and security of your account. To help ensure the security of your financial information, follow these rules:
- Do not give your Sign-On ID and password to anyone. If two or more people share a Sign-On ID and password, Beacon Credit Union has no way to tell which of those people actually performed a given transaction. You are responsible for any transaction performed using your Sign-On ID and password.
- Do not leave your Sign-On ID and password out in the open where anyone passing by can see it.
- Do not leave your computer unattended while you are logged in to online banking. If you leave your computer unattended while you are signed on, anyone passing by could use your computer to perform any of the transactions that you are authorized to perform.
- Always sign off at the end of an online banking session. This will terminate your session, which will prevent someone from using your browser’s Back button to return to a session that has not yet timed out.
In general, all of these are common-sense rules. Use good judgment to ensure that your financial information remains secure. Beacon Credit Union is not responsible for nonpublic personal information or financial information that becomes public because you did not maintain the security of your Sign-On ID and password. Beacon Credit Union is also not responsible for financial loss that occurs because you did not maintain the security of your Sign-On ID and password.
How do I log in to online banking?
To log in to online banking, do the following:
- Go to the Beacon Credit Union website, www.beaconcu.org. Click on the Beacon Online Sign On. This will take you to the opening page of the online banking service.
- Enter your Sign-On ID in the box next to the label Sign-On ID.
- Press the enter button to the password field.
- Enter your password in the box next to the label Password.
- Click on the button that says Sign On.
- Wait until the online banking service displays your account list.
If you have a problem logging in, refer to our Troubleshooting section.
Why is it so important for me to sign off from online banking?
It is very important that you end each online banking session by signing off. To sign off, click on the Sign Off link on the left side of any online banking page. This will end your online banking session.
Why is this so important? Because of the way the Web works, signing off is the only way the online banking service knows that you have ended your session. If you leave online banking without signing off — by going directly to another web site, for example — the online banking service keeps your session alive for up to 20 minutes while it waits to see if there is something more you want to do. This is not good for two reasons: First, it is a security risk; if you leave your PC unattended during this time, someone could use your browser’s Back button to return to your active session. Second, if you try to sign on again before the online banking service has timed out your session, you will receive an error message.
Is online banking available all the time?
Online banking is generally available for 22 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. We perform system backups and maintenance between the hours of 2:00AM and 4:00AM each day. We occasionally have other scheduled maintenance periods; we will notify you of scheduled maintenance. During backups and maintenance, the online banking service is not available. The service may also be unavailable due to unscheduled maintenance or other technical problems, but we try our best to make these interruptions as infrequent as possible.
Can I use my browser’s Back and Forward buttons to go from one online banking page to another?
In general, you should never use your browser’s Back or Forward buttons to go from one online banking page to another. Use the provided tabs to navigate the system.
What account information can I see online?
Beacon Online shows you a list of your accounts, summary information about each account, and a transaction register. Beacon Online will display up to 12 months of history for your accounts.
Online banking reports allow you to see summary and detail information about your accounts. You can assign transactions to categories that you define, and then report on transactions using those categories.
Do I have any control over the account detail that is displayed?
The Account Services tab allows you to set the number of lines displayed on each page of your Register.
The Accounts, Advanced Search tab allows you to select transactions by Account, Date Range, Category, or Preset Date Range.