Miami County Project Spotlight Winners
1st Place: Scratching Post Cat Rescue
2nd Place: Peru Circus Festival Band, Inc.
Random Draw: Denver Truck Fund
- Blair Pointe Upper Elementary School – Reading is so important! Nearly everything we do as a society involves reading. Reading helps students to develop their cognitive abilities and imagination. It helps them to improve their communication and extend their vocabulary. It also contributes to good self‐esteem, and self‐confidence. The students at Blair Pointe are already somewhat disadvantaged; being unable to replace books will place them at further risk of underachievement. We want our students to excel, and we hope to provide materials for them to do so. The need of books to continue the literacy program for the school is critical. The library is an integral part of the reading development for each Blair Pointe student.
- CC’s Closet – CC’s Closet is a community closet for Miami Co. children & adults. It was established in honor of Carol Conrad, thus the CC’s name. C.C.’s closet accepts all sizes of clothing, from infant through adult. Special items to consider are new underwear, socks, and pajamas (summer and winter weights). Diapers, wipes, diaper bags, and toiletries are also needed. Backpacks and tote bags are welcome too. They would like to provide each child with a backpack or tote bag instead of a garbage bag of clothing. C.C.’s Closet also gladly accepts monetary donations.
- Denver Truck Fund – The Denver Fire Department is a nonprofit all volunteer fire and rescue operation in the small town of Denver, Indiana. We are committed to serving the town of Denver and surrounding areas throughout the northern half of Miami County 24 hours a day. A project that’s been a challenge for us is raising money to replace the current fleet of fire trucks that we currently have. We have an old tanker truck that needs to be replaced as well as a medical truck.
- Junior Achievement serving Miami County – Junior Achievement has 109 local JA Areas across the nation, and together we are the nation’s largest organization dedicated to giving young people the knowledge and skills they need to own their economic success, plan for their futures, and make smart academic and economic choices. JA’s programs—in the core content areas of work readiness, entrepreneurship, and financial literacy—ignite the spark in young people to experience and realize the opportunities and realities of work and life in the 21st century.
- Miami County Child Abuse Prevention Council – The mission of Miami County Child Abuse Prevention (CAP) Council is to educate our community about child abuse and neglect and its prevention. We are a chartered member of Child Abuse Prevention Indiana. We work to promote primary prevention and create a community that cares for its children. We do this by (1) raising awareness that prevention is possible—that we can stop abuse and neglect from happening in the first place; (2) distributing information about parenting, providing tools and resources needed to support parenting skills and to strengthen families; (3) hosting educational programs open to the public and free; and (4) building support for community-based prevention programs. We need caring communities in order to have effective prevention programs. By working to encourage our community and its organizations to take on this responsibility, we can prevent abuse and neglect.
- Peru Circus Festival Band, Inc. – The Peru Circus Festival Band was established in 1960 and has provided the music for every Peru Amateur Circus performance since then. In past years, the Band has provided music or many community gatherings and celebrations. The Band has performed in nearby communities, Indianapolis, and Washington, D.C. Besides providing music for circuses, concerts, and community events, the Peru Circus Festival Band also provides opportunities for student members to expand their musical knowledge as they sit alongside more experienced members allowing the Band to continue to grow and develop as they move into the future.
- Scratching Post Cat Rescue – This is a privately owned cat rescue, funded solely on donations from the community. It is a no kill cat rescue for cats of Miami County that are rescued or owner surrendered. They are spayed/ neutered as well as vaccinated and are cared for daily by volunteers, 7 days a week 365 days a year. All expenses in the care of these cats, include everything from building expenses to cleaning supplies, from cat food and litter to medications is funded by donation only.