ID Reclaim Basic
What is ID Reclaim Basic identity theft recovery service?
If you have a Net Direct, Interest Advantage or Vintage Checking Account at Beacon, you are automatically enrolled and there is no charge for service. The primary and secondary account holder is covered and eligible to receive the services of ID Reclaim Basic identity theft recovery service.
ID Reclaim Basic provides you with the reassurance that if Identity Theft strikes — no matter what the reason — a professional recovery advocate is standing by, ready to restore your identity as close as possible to pre-theft status — no matter how long it takes.
What is Identity Theft?
Identity Theft is the fastest growing crime in the United States, affecting nine million Americans each year according to the Federal Trade Commission. Identity theft can happen to anyone; regardless of how careful you are, regardless of age or income and regardless of where you live. You are more than four times as likely to fall victim to identity theft as you are to be involved in a traffic accident.*
Identity theft could be the result or cause of the following events: A stolen wallet, irregular charges on your account, money missing from your account, fraudulent or suspicious charges or account openings, or erroneous medical or wage records.
How ID Reclaim Works
If you become a victim of identity theft, a recovery advocate will go to work to restore your credit card and your creditability — a process that could save you many hours of time. Surveys show that as many as a third of all victims give up without ever restoring their identity to pre-theft status — even after a year of trying on their own. If you suspect identity theft, or your identity becomes compromised as a result of a lost purse or wallet, a break-in, lost laptop, or notification that personal information was part of a data breach, take this action:
Contact Beacon immediately during business hours at 1-800-762-3136.
A representative will take your name and contact information, confirm that you are covered and then initiate your recovery case with the recovery service provider, Merchants Information Solutions Inc. You will have a one-on-one personal recovery advocate assigned to your case. You may be asked to sign a limited power of attorney authorization, which will enable the recovery advocate to fully manage the research and work needed.
Your recovery advocate holds Fair Credit Reporting Act certification and private investigator licensure, and will:
- Contact you directly to provide support, offer counseling and, most importantly, begin the recovery process immediately.
- Place fraud alerts on your credit file.
- Help you access services to watch for signs of identity theft.
- Pull credit reports and do a threat assessment to determine if any identity theft has occurred.
If you become a victim of identity theft, your recovery advocate will:
- Assist you in completing an Identity Theft Affidavit and Declaration of Fraud to establish your rights as a victim.
- Activate credit monitoring during your recovery to help you watch for additional signs of abuse.
- Contact the Social Security Administration, U.S. Postal Service, Department of Motor Vehicles, etc., as applicable, to address any misuse of official documentation of your identity.
- Research and document all fraudulent transactions and false accounts or contracts signed with creditors, banks, credit unions, utility companies, leasing agents, medical facilities, etc.
- Follow up to make sure all wrongful activity is reversed and removed from your records.
- Work with local and federal law enforcement to try to stop the criminal or criminals who are using your identity.
- Activate other members of the recovery team to assist when necessary, including professional investigators.
- Provide 12 months of follow-up after your recovery is complete, to be sure you stay recovered.
Identity Theft victims may visit the Identity Care Center to access their case files.
No registration is required. If you suspect you are a victim of identity theft, visit your local branch or call 1-800-762-3136.
Disclaimer: Links to other websites found here are provided to assist in locating information. The existence of a link between this website and another does not constitute a product or program endorsement by Beacon Credit Union or any of its affiliates or employees. The credit union has no responsibility for content of the websites found at these links or beyond and does not attest to the accuracy of propriety of any information located there.